Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Trial Team (or yet more evidence of my dorkdum)

How was your weekend?  What?!  You didn't get to spend it at the North Carolina regional high school mock trial team competition?  I'm sorry. 

I've been coaching a high school trial team and now that the competition is over, I'm glad to have some of my free time back, but I'm sad to not still have this group of cool high schoolers to hang out with. 

Seriously.  I mean we had our moments when I thought I might scream--"PAY ATTENTION!!!"  "THE COMPETITION IS IN ONLY ONE WEEK!"  "WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU DIDN'T BRING THE DRAFT OF YOUR CROSS-EXAMINATION TO PRACTICE?" 

Of course, I didn't though.  I'm not an outloud yeller like that.  (In my head though... watch out!)

But, then, as it always does, it all came together.  And on Saturday, I was just so proud.  I don't have my own kids (yet) and Mr. Mason hasn't yet really learned to hold his own in a courtroom yet, but I have to imagine that this feeling perhaps somewhat approximated what parents must feel like when they work with their kids to teach them something--perhaps how to ride a bike for example--and then they see them take off and pedal.  Perhaps the kid wobbles a bit.  But what a cool feeling to know that that kid has discovered a new thrill and is mastering it and YOU taught them. 

We didn't win, but I couldn't care less.  We came so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your thoughts!